Councillor Sylvia Russell's Personal Blog

Welcome to my blog†

My name is Sylvia Russell, Teignbridge District Councillor and Conservative Member for Teignmouth East Ward - part of Teignbridge District Council, in South Devon.

The purpose of this site is to try and keep you informed about my role and provide you with information about developments in Teignbridge District Council and our local Ward of Teignmouth East.

My committee responsibilities with the Council include Overview & Scrutiny, Development Control and Regulatory & Appeals committees.

Chairman of the Council 2009-2010

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Bowing Out


The AGM and the end of my year as Chairman has arrived. What a year it has been and I hope those friends who have dipped into my blog have gained an insight into the work of the Civic Head of a Local Authority. Some Authorities such as Exeter and Plymouth have ancient traditions and a bit more pomp to follow but throughout this last year all of us in the Devon "Chain Gang" have had a wonderful time and have ended our terms of office as firm friends, already planning a reunion dinner. My Chairman's Charity Sense supporting the deafblind benefitted from my fundraising efforts and I was delighted to present a cheque for £3,651.64 to Peter Holman. (pictured) Thanks to my Chaplain, the Rev. Graham Stones and my Secretary Alison Beckenham for supporting me during my Chairmanship and to all colleagues and staff at Teignbridge District Council for cheering me on! I handed over the Chain to my successor, Cllr. Stephen Purser (pictured) who represents the Teign Valley, a glorious area of Devon and I wish him every success. My husband Bill handed the Consort's Chain to Mrs. Clare Purser. Without Bill's support by my side throughout the year I could not have done the job. He kept the conversation flowing when I was entertaining guests and drove me to all engagements. No Official Jag for the Chairman of Teignbridge!

The role of Civic Head and Prayers before a formal Council meeting are under threat as never before and it is up to all of us to make sure that Civic pride and our national heritage as a Christian country with our Soverign at it's head stays strong and protected through these turbulent and troubling times.

0 Comments: